Wednesday, March 2, 2016

New Punk Fashions For The Spring Formal

It's funny that I wrote that post yesterday, because today a story surfaced about Tom Delonge wanting blink-182 to sound like U2 and Coldplay. The two are not related, I swear!

Also, Travis is the worst fucking interview ever. Tom may write the shittier and more self-important songs in blink, but at least he was entertaining to watch.

Travis is clearly trying to be the one to come out of this with punk points and be the one who always wanted to record 5 more Take Off Your Pants and Jacket's, but if you take a look at the one album that he and Mark recorded without Tom, +44's When Your Heart Stops Beating you get a pretty good idea about what would have been and maybe what is forthcoming. Those two with Matt Skiba? Like, I love me some Alkaline Trio, but Matt is basically the "Tom" of that band. Sure, "Draculina" isn't nearly as bad as the Angels and Airwaves discography, but it's on that trajectory.

I mean, combine the awfulness of My Shame is True with "the past is only the future with the lights on" and you've got what's forthcoming.

I don't really know why I'm writing this, because I really don't care about the album at all. The blink reunion thing was just floating around in my head for a few days and then this story came up today. I won't sweat the definition of content.

I was thinking about trying to write a post on IMU every day for March. I was excited about this idea, but I also realized that it would not happen. I thought that if I made an official "I'm doing this" post on the blog, it would spur me to do it more, but that's really not true. If I don't commit to an imusicalgenius.blogspot.com every day, then I don't have to be pissed off at myself when it doesn't happen. Funny how avoiding goals does that for you.

In lieu of promising a post every day, I will counter with my same old promise of "writing a lot more". I've got a bunch of ideas for ska stories, personal anecdotes and band write-ups banked, so when I run into writer's block, I will turn to those. Let's call it manuscript march.

Hashtag.

I would like for imusicalgenius.blogspot.com to become popular because that would mean that a lot of people would read what I write. I've determined that there are two ways for this to happen:

1. My band gets a lot bigger. Big enough that people want to hear what a member of Beat Noir has to say. Suddenly the continued use of blogspot as a platform becomes "retro" and "ironic".

It's not. I legitimately like more than any other writing platform and it's what I'm used to.

2. I transform the blog into a music blog, where I provide a ton of music links and downloads. Considering that more or less all of my music collection is pilfered from these to begin with, this seems kind of dumb.

So, I guess we just continue on and hope for option 1 or something.

Thesis is hard. Stressed about a conference. Going to British Columbia for the first time next week. Going to see the ocean for the first time next week. Think I should be doing more. Dillinger Four is still the only band in the world that makes sense to me at the moment.

"Are you ready to be the Davey to the new Goliath?"


No comments:

Post a Comment